Smart Responsive Interface Design Tricks workshop
Workshop by Vitaly Friedman
Are you ready for a design challenge? In this brand new workshop, Vitaly Friedman, editor-in-chief and co-founder of Smashing Magazine, will be taking a microscopic examination of common interface components and problems appearing in responsive user interfaces. In this workshop, we’ll be spending an entire day drawing and designing responsive interfaces, starting from accordions, to date/time pickers, sliders, feature comparisons, car configurators all the way to insurance calculators and trip planners.
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design and how it works.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won't cover the basics, instead, the workshop covers more advanced — and often obscure and innovative techniques.
What will the workshop cover?
In this workshop, we’ll go hands-on into exploring:
- Responsive art direction techniques and advanced layouts, with many inspiring and memorable examples,
- Navigation, with mega-drop-downs, breadcrumbs, carousels, accordion and filters,
- Builders, with a car configurator and mobile plan builder,
- Forms, with email verification, password input, country selector, privacy issues, sliders and public transportation, and a banking transaction UI,
- Date pickers, date range picker and a time picker, incl. booking an appointment and booking an airline ticket,
- Tables, with a feature comparison table, currency exchange calculator, pricing plans,
- Search, with autocomplete, filters, search results,
- Calendars, with a multi-track schedule, TV Guide schedule, music festival schedule, exhibition calendar, spreadsheets and dashboard,
- Audio/Video, with a video player UI and audio-based input,
- Maps / Data Visualization, with a shopping mall map, election map, smart region input.
- Timelines, with a historical timelines, soccer game signature and live leaderboard and standings,
- Real-time experience with betting UI for soccer, poker and live video streaming,
- Footnotes and sidenotes in magazine articles,
- Seat selection, for a concert/theatre/exhibition and a perfect airplane check-in,
- Responsive PDF for documents and restaurant menus,
- Responsive upscaling, with eCommerce experience on large screens and article layout on large screens,
- Design anti-patterns to avoid to prevent running into maintenance issues and “slow UX decay”.
What hardware/software do you need?
You'll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. We’ll be spending a lot of time drawing, sketching, designing and thinking. Laptop is preferred but not absolutely necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day. Bring a lot of attention to detail and non-standard thinking to this one! ;-)
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and does not give up easily. From Minsk in Belarus, he studied computer science and mathematics in Germany, discovered the passage a passion for typography, writing and design. After working as a freelance designer and developer for 6 years, he co-founded Smashing Magazine, a leading online magazine dedicated to design and web development. Vitaly is the author, co-author and editor of all Smashing books. He currently works as editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine in the lovely city of Vilnius, Lithuania.
|Annemarie de Vries||OGD ict-diensten||NL|
|Brian van Bruggen||Transfer Solutions||NL|
|Djujan Bijstra||Informaat Experience Design||NL|
|Guido Medugno||YOOX Net-a-Porter Group||IT|
|Jorrit Terpstra||Evident Interactive||NL|
|Niels Schaafsma||Transfer Solutions||NL|
|Peter Wulf||Efficiency Online||NL|
|Robert Hantink||Transfer Solutions||NL|
|Tom Bakker||Transfer Consulting||NL|